2004 Shirvington Wine Notes
2004 Cabernet Sauvignon
The wine was 100% barrel fermented and aged for 12 months in 80% American oak and 20% French oak. 85% of the oak was new and the remaining 15% was one year old.
This wine is dark ruby red in colour, juicy and aromatic on the nose with hints of leafy and tobacco varietal characters. The palate is instantly rich and mouth filling with ripe cherry and blackcurrant fruit. Well structured with mocha and chocolate flavours and fine emery tannins. White pepper and cloves combine to give a lengthy, spicy finish. It is drinking well now and will cellar for many years.
- Wine Advocate 90 points
The wine was 100% barrel fermented and aged for 14 months in 95% American oak and 5% French oak. 75% of the oak was new and 25% was one year old.
This wine is deep maroon with perfumed aromas of dark chocolate and blackberry. There are also some hints of coffee and golden syrup. The palate is an intense explosion of sweet, luscious fruit and toasty oak, even so the texture is silky smooth and creamy and seems to glide over the tongue. Well balanced, the wine finishes with cinnamon and licorice that linger for some time. It is drinking well now and will cellar for many years.
- Wine Advocate 95 points
2004 was another trying vintage. A very hot and dry November was followed by the hottest December in over 50 years. January was unusually cool, and this helped slow the berry sugar accumulation down considerably. A vicious hot spell in February with many days over 40°C was followed by two months of cooler conditions, further slowing the ripening process. 2004 vintage produced parcels of excellent fruit, particularly Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.